Sunday, November 15, 2009

Spending Hours On What Used To Be An Excuse Not To Cook

I miss take-out Chinese food. Happy House on 5th Avenue in Grandview was my go-to spot. Their General Tso's Chicken is so good I never managed to order anything else on the menu! If you are not gluten free I suggest you go eat some. Now.

So, after almost a year of no General Tso's, I decided to make my own. I had been sitting on a recipe for General Tso's Chicken and finally set aside an evening to make it. Good thing I had an evening. It took almost 2 hours. Maybe it will be faster next time, but probably not by much.

It was delicious, and I'll definitely make it again, but wow. Deep frying in a wok was easier than I expected, but I had to fry the chicken in small batches. I think that's what took so long... I think next time I make it I will try to convince my husband to do that part. :)

I found the recipe here and doubled it. I used chicken breast, added sliced onion and broccoli, and used pepper flakes. Next time I will triple the sauce and add more red pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment