Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ode to Cinnamon Chex

Cinnamon Toast Crunch was my favorite cereal of all time before my diagnosis. It was desert and breakfast and snacks and I'm pretty sure I've even made dinner out of it.
When General Mills announced that they were reformulating Rice Chex to be gluten free and making other flavors gluten free, I (like a lot of Celiacs) was thrilled. I was even more ecstatic when I found Cinnamon Chex. It's not the same as Cinnamon Toast Crunch, I won't try to kid myself. But it's the closest thing I've got. And it's healthier. A grown-up version. When I have a bowl of Cinnamon Chex with yogurt, I don't care that I can't eat a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
What I don't like about Cinnamon Chex is the price and availability. Kroger doesn't always have it. Target, Marcs, and Giant Eagle have it sometimes. At Giant Eagle I paid $4.75 for a box! Tonight on a rare trip to Walmart I found it for $2.00 a box. Normally, I'm not a fan of Walmart. I'd rather buy from a local grocery, but in this economy, when gluten free food is already 300% more than the regular versions (I never thought I would consider mac and cheese a luxury), that's a deal I can't pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment