Wednesday, February 3, 2010

So, I've been a really bad blogger... I'd promise to do better, but really, we know how that usually goes. But for now, here's a new post!

I've noticed a trend in gluten free eating for which I am grateful. Frugal gluten-free food. Everyone who goes gluten free notices the dramatic increase in their grocery bill. Especially if they buy gluten free versions of the foods they ate before ($3.00 for GF mac and cheese in a box?!?!). If you are willing to eat a lot of rice and beans and cook your meals from scratch, it's easier to keep the grocery bill down. That's been my method. But a lot of times I feel like I have had to choose between convenience and cost, and nutrition and taste. Most times I need a delicious dinner that will not take all night to fix and that will reheat for lunches the next day that will not cost an arm and a leg. Not much to ask, right?

This recipe has made it into the "Top 5 Recipes that My Husband Likes Me to Cook". At least that's what he said last night. Sadly, I have no idea what the other 4 are! Hopefully he will clue me in soon! It's super easy, costs around $20 to make and will feed the two of us for 1 night and 3 days of lunches.

Mexican Lasagna



Ingredients
Corn tortillas (about 6 of them)
Salsa (1 medium jar)
Refried beans (1 can)
Sour cream (big container)
shredded cheddar cheese (about a pound)
onion (1 medium, chopped)
chicken (about a pound, cut into small pieces)
"taco" seasoning (I use a mix of cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, and cilantro)

Instructions
Cook the chicken, onion, and seasoning in a large skillet. Just before it's finished add 1/4 c water to the pan to make sure it is good and moist.

While the chicken is cooling, lightly oil a 9x11 casserole dish.
Place a layer of corn tortillas in the bottom of the dish.
Spread refried beans on the tortillas.
Add a layer of the chicken (about 1/2 of it), and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
Add a layer of sour cream, followed by salsa (the layers get kinda messy, but it's all good!).
Start with another layer of tortillas and repeat. Be sure to save some shredded cheese for a final layer on the top.

Variations: if you wanted to cut costs further or go veggie, skip the chicken layer or substitute some black beans or grilled veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment