Monday, February 15, 2010

ANOTHER winter storm system is moving through central Ohio today... so, what's a girl to do? I spent the weekend cooking and baking, so I'm not so motivated to be in the kitchen. I will however share a couple of recipes that were successful over the weekend while remaining on the couch with my blanket and season 3 of 30 Rock. Yes, this girl knows how to use a day off!

The first is my gluten free Italian meatballs. I found out that these are also in the top five things that my husband likes me to make. I serve these with brown rice pasta (Trader Joes is my fave) and a Puttanesca and marinara sauce blend. Super easy, delicious, and not too unhealthy. I came up with the recipe by melding a bunch of recipes I found online.

ITALIAN MEATBALLS
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground beef
1 onion diced small
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp basil
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp red pepper flake
1/2-1 c gluten free bread crumbs
1-2 eggs (add one, if the mix is too crumbly, add the 2nd)

Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Use your hands; it's messy, but the best way to get everything combined.

Roll into golf-ball-sized balls and place on baking sheets and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. This recipe makes about 32 balls.


This next recipe is a new staple for our house. delicious as breakfast, snack, or even dessert! It was also a recipe that I converted all by myself. The original is from the Joy of Baking website.

PUMPKIN MUFFINS

1 c canned pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1/2 c plain yogurt
1/2 c oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c all purpose flour mix (I used Bob's Red Mill)
3/4 c rice bran (I use Ener-G)
3/4 c granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1tsp xanthum gum
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 c raisins

Mix the pumpkin, eggs, yogurt, oil, and vanilla with a wisk in a medium bowl.
In a large bowl, mix the four, bran, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, all spice, and salt.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix until just combined.
Stir in the raisins.

Spoon into muffin tins. Makes 12 muffins.

Bake at 400 degrees, for 18-20 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment