Thursday, March 24, 2011

Peeps are gluten free.

Easter candy has always been my favorite candy. In high school and college I would occasionally eat so much of it in one sitting that I'd make myself sick. I probably would now if I thought I could get away with it.

My favorite are Cadbury Creme Eggs. I also love the Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs. Peanut butter tends to bother me, so I stay away from those now. The Easter colored M&Ms even taste better than their year-round counterparts. And the epitome of Easter candy? Peeps.

I recognize that Peeps are barely considered food. I've read the label. I know that they won't decay if I leave them sitting out on my counter until next Easter. But I don't feel like it's really Spring until I've had a package of peeps. So tonight was the night. I picked up some bright yellow peeps (they taste better than the pink ones), chicks (not bunnies, those aren't as good), and dug in. I attempted to take some pictures of them in their adorableness, but I couldn't get the lighting right... then I couldn't stop eating them.

I know that Peeps are gluten free because it says so on the label. Most candy isn't so cut and dry. The ingredients might be okay, but then there's the issue of cross contamination. That's why I check www.myglutenfacts.com for the low down on all my Easter candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment