Monday, January 3, 2011

Ringing in the New Year

So, here it is, January 3. The day I was supposed to go back to work. The day I'm supposed to feel like tackling the new year and all its challenges, but instead I'm home sick with a nasty virus. Instead of making resolutions to go to the gym this weekend, I was resolving to get up long enough to refill my water glass, or maybe move from the bed to the couch.

This morning I woke up hungry. For vegetables! After weeks of cookies, cheese, and meat, I knew that I needed to resolve to eat more vegetables this year. Eating vegetables never seems like a problem in July, when all is fresh and green and tastes like sunshine. In the winter, it's a little harder to be inspired. I believe in eating what's in season as much as humanly possible. I have a hard time believing that the tomatoes that have been on a truck for the last 2 weeks before arriving at the local Kroger will have much flavor or nutritional value compared to the tomato from my back yard last summer. So in the winter months, I rely primarily on canned or frozen veggies. I do eat a lot of fresh onions, lettuce, and carrots from the grocery, things that typically don't have to ripen and would have held up well in the basement if I'd had the foresight to put some up for the winter.

So this afternoon, between blowing my nose, washing my hands, and using my neti pot, I made some veggie soup. Here's to hoping that this soothing soup puts me back on the right track.

Sick Day Veggie Soup

1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, cut into small half moons
2 T butter
1c corn (frozen)
1c buttercup squash (frozen, chopped)
1 pint green beans (canned)
8 c cold water
½ package of rice sticks (noodles)
salt
pepper
thyme
oregano
1 bay leaf

Instructions
1.       Sautee onion, garlic, and carrots in butter in the bottom of a heavy stock pot.
2.       Add remaining veggies, spices, and 8 c cold water.
3.       Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until veggies are just tender, then add rice sticks.
4.       Continue to simmer until rice noodles are tender.
5.       Remove bay leaf before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment