Saturday, April 2, 2011

Chocolate Cake

Before last night, I couldn't tell you the last time I made a chocolate cake. I am not sure why, but it never seems to be the thing at the top of my list for baking. However when surfing through some food blogs the other day I found this recipe. I couldn't get this recipe out of my head, and I knew that I had a most if not all of the ingredients in my cupboard. So last night I got out my food processor and my Kitchen Aid and decided to give it a go.

Once I got started, I realized that I didn't quite have all the ingredients, so my recipe ended up looking more like this:

1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
5 tbsp cocoa powder
3 eggs
1/4 cup nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup skim milk
4 squares Baker's semi-sweet chocolate (melted)
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup butter (room temperature)
1 cup pitted prunes
 
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch spring form pan
Mix all the dry ingredients (flours and powders) together with a whisk and set aside.
Melt the chocolate and allow to cool slightly. Watch out that it doesn't burn in the microwave!
Mix the butter and prunes in a food processor, and transfer to a mixer.
Slowly add in the melted chocolate and maple syrup into the mixture.
Then add in each egg individually, alternating with the dry ingredients. Beat well between each addition.
Mix the yogurt and milk together, then add to the batter slowly. Mix until well combined.
Drizzle the vanilla into the mix.
This mixture will yield a fairly stiff batter.
Spoon into a well greased tin, and bake for about 30 minutes until firm to the touch. It took mine about 35 minutes.


The result is a rich, moist, not-too-sweet chocolate cake you can eat without feeling too bad about. I think this cake would be perfect with some fresh fruit and maybe a touch of whipped cream. I will definitely be making it again. If you're thinking... "Prunes? How could that be good?" Trust me. It's delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment