Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mellowing out at Mellow Mushroom

Beer and Pizza. The Holy Grail of the Celiac. There are several places around Columbus where you can enjoy a cold one and a slice for that occasional night of carb-filled debauchery. Tonight, we tried a new one. Mellow Mushroom.

I have fond memories of Mellow Mushroom from my gluten-full days. Ben and I had our first encounter with the 'Shroom on our honeymoon in Charleston, S.C. It was the best pizza we had ever eaten. Then, about a year ago, one opened in Columbus. Fast forward to 2011 when I found out that they have gluten free pizza! We finally made it there tonight to give it a try.

Now, the gluten free pizza there is not as earth-shattering as the slice I had in Charleston, but it is pretty darn good. It is unique, and the crust has a soft crisp bite, but is not what I'd call crispy. They also carry Bard's sorghum beer. It was a delicious combo.

Part of what I enjoy about Mellow Mushroom is the atmosphere. Where else can you go for a pizza in the Columbus suburbs where Dancing Bears adorn the walls and the drink special costs $4.20 and is called "Grateful Dead"?









 

No comments:

Post a Comment