Sunday, September 12, 2010

mmmm..... pie.


I love pie. I love all kinds of pie, though I strongly favor fruit pies. I would take any fruit pie over a cream pie any day... though maybe not my grandma's butterscotch pie... but I digress.

Gluten free pie crust is a pain in the arse. It is fragile and as a very narrow temperature window of workability. There are mixes that make it easier, the Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust mix is delicious and fairly easy as far as GF pie crust goes. 

Fortunately, my mom had done the hard part and gave me a frozen single shell crust over the summer. All summer long I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to make a pie. I wanted to wait until we had someone to share the pie with... I have zero will power when it comes to pie. 

This morning I woke up to a brisk pre-fall chill in the air. Perfect for baking. I had apples, one pie crust, pecans, and oatmeal. and so I bring to you: Apple Crisp Pie. 














Here it is just before it went into the oven. It baked up beautifully, but not as bubbly as I would have expected. Maybe next time I'll add a touch of liquid to the filling or a touch more butter to the topping.

I adapted the recipe from several that I found online. I always use less sugar than a recipe calls for, and I like to use more spices (great taste without the sugar). My review on the taste isn't terribly reliable, I got a stomach bug soon after eating my first piece... but Ben did a solid job on the pie, eating at least 3 pieces, which for him is a lot. He's really picky about desserts, so I'll take it that this one was a success. 

Here's my recipe:

Pie Crust (I used one prepared and frosen crust from a Gluten Free Pantry mix.)

Pie Filling
6ish apples (4 Granny Smiths and 2 giant Ginger Golds)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 heaping tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
sprinke of allspice
1/4 c light brown sugar
1/4 c dark brown sugar
3 T tapioca starch

Topping
1/2 c gluten free oats (if tolerated)
1/2 c finely chopped pecans
1/4 c sweet rice flour
1/4 c butter (room temperature)
1/4 c dark brown sugar

Bake for about an hour at 375 degrees. Cover edges with foil if they start to get too brown. Apples should be tender, and crust should be golden brown.







1 comment: