Monday, November 30, 2009

GF Menus: A Cautionary Tale

I will keep this short, but here is a lesson recently learned about gluten free menus. A couple weeks ago my husband and I ate at Molly Woo's at Polaris. We choose the restaurant because it has been our experience that Cameron Mitchell restaurants are well prepared to meet my gluten free needs. I was thrilled to find that they had a gluten free menu printed out and gluten free soy sauce in case I wanted anything off of the regular menu (they would prepare it specially with the GF soy sauce).

I ordered the calamari appetizer. I LOVE calamari and had missed it so much. Keep in mind that I ordered from the Gluten Free menu and told the server that I needed her to make sure that it was gluten free (the whole speal). When she brought it to the table, it had two sauces in ramekins on the plate. I hadn't seen the sauces listed on the GF menu so I asked about them. I was SHOCKED to find that one of the sauces contained gluten! and the server knew it! and no one would have told me if I hadn't asked!

unbelievable.

I explained the problem with the scenario to the server, but I don't think she got it. Rather than make a scene, I have emailed about my experience to corporate. We'll see if I hear anything back.

Lesson learned. You can't assume that ordering from the GF menu is enough. Speak up. Ask questions.

Important note: I didn't get sick (Hurray!) but it was a close call.

No comments:

Post a Comment